Once upon a time in the early days of your business, processes moved along in an orderly fashion to the expected conclusion without a hitch. Thankfully those days are long gone as a credit to your growth but as a result, processes just don't flow that easily anymore. Your outdated business management ERP system is to blame.
Here are three signs that your distribution process needs overhaul:
Sign #1: Frequent Inventory Shortages or Excess
Lets start in your warehouse. Are your shelves full of product but somehow it's a rarity to have the right products on hand to complete the entire order? Efficient distribution stores the exact inventory the customer wants next and nothing more. A new distribution ERP software is the key to achieving that level of efficiency.
Fast and precise order entry allows verifying product availability immediately:
- On the shelf now?
- Available now, or has another customer asked for it?
- Distribution ERP will reply in a second.
- Not on the shelf?
- No problem.
- Where did you buy it last time?
- How long did it take to arrive?
- Is there a comparable product you have already that will satisfy the customer?
Modern purchasing and supply chain tools in ERP software will have the answer.
A good distribution ERP should work in reverse too.
- Too much on the shelf?
- Can you return it?
- Who bought it last?
- Maybe they want a few more still. It might be best to simply clear the shelf and make room for something that will sell.
A modern distribution ERP software system can help make those decisions and many others through amazingly accurate reporting that gives a full inventory view of the possibilities.
Sign #2: Your Distribution Process Lacks Integration
Modern technology and software of all types can add functionality to distribution ERP utilizing data from all kinds of areas. If your current process is not integrated, just imagine the following scenario in at your business:
- Conveyors move boxes which are filled as they move along.
- The conveyor weighs the filled box and connects directly with the carrier system to prepare the shipping documents and get tracking numbers before the box is taped closed.
- As the box is closed and signed-off for dispatch, the customer is charged through your ERP payment processor integration.
- Meanwhile, an inbound truck makes an appointment for a dock to unload.
- The ERP software identifies all the products on that truck, calculating the best dock and preparing a cross-dock movement of the box mentioned earlier so it gets on the outbound carrier with no delay.
That is integration.
Sign #3: Your Business Does Not Utilize E-Commerce
Allowing customers to place their own orders and pay for them right away is one of the most valuable facets of modern business. When your business embraces e-commerce, a web portal links directly to your new distribution ERP software so you can schedule a delivery or purchase the items desired.
Even complex orders are handled with ease.
You can deliver specific lots to fill the order, track shelf life of your product to ensure your inventory is good and to provide the maximum shelf life to your customer. Distribution ERP software will also control inventory using FEFO or FIFO rules as needed for your business.
Is your business running at premium efficiency?
Do you want to talk about the possibilities?
Please feel free to contact us!